The Next Level

I've been trying to get to the next level in rp and wondering how to go about it. Understand I'm talking about my actual play, not a game character. I've met some lovely, lovely players on a text based MUSH. I plan to run some games for them if they wish on Hangouts or Roll 20. But after a hiatus of several years I'm looking at how I play and wondering what I can do to make other people want to play with me.

Characters have it easy. The way they improve is usually spelled out in the game books. I have to make it up as I go along. Obviously I need more experience i.e. doing more scenes with other players. I also need to learn some more MUSH coding. But beyond that I'm adjusting my style of play in a refereeless game as follows:

1) when I pitch a scene to someone I try to see it from their POV. How can I create a scene where their character is a valued part?

This is something I used to do as a GM without a second thought. As a player among equals I have to remember that we are all responsible for each other's enjoyment.

2) How can I show my character in an interesting light? I should make others want to play with me. I need to play off their chars in a dramatic fashion, find new takes on my character, and make him 'pop'.

3) Am I being a twink? Fair question. Showing off your character is one thing. remember not to let him overshadow the others just because there is no ref. have a good idea of your limits and those of others to be fair about what you say is happening when it is your turn to play God.

Have I done all this? Not all the time, not yet. I'm still between levels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proxy? You Misspelled Patsy! Part 1

Trade Relations

Traveller: Society in Decline or Post Apocalyptic?